fbpx

WATCH: Netflix release teaser for Marilyn Monroe biopic ‘Blonde’

 - Movies - Jun 17 SHARE ON:

Netflix’s first look at Blonde, the controversial biopic surrounding the life and times of Marilyn Monroe, has been driving viewers across the globe into a frenzy.

Directed by Andrew Dominik and starring Ana de Armas as Monroe, the film is based on the novel of the same name by Pulitzer prize finalist Joyce Carol Oates.

Dominik has called the film a story of “how a childhood trauma shapes an adult who’s split between a public and a private self,” with the original writer calling a particular rape scene from the rough cut a “startling, brilliant, very disturbing and perhaps most surprisingly an utterly ‘feminist’ interpretation”.

Armas, who previously appeared in blockbuster hits like War Dogs and James Bond’s No Time To Die described the film as “the most intense work” she has ever done, with the film rumoured to be eyeing an Oscar or two at the 95th Academy Awards.

#MaltaDaily

TAGS: , ,

Police begin murder investigation after 60-year-old dies in St. Paul’s Bay bar argument

 - Local - Jun 17 SHARE ON:
Police begin murder investigation after 60-year-old dies in St. Paul's Bay bar argument

A 60-year-old has died after falling down a flight of steps in a St. Paul’s Bay bar argument early this morning.

The argument took place at around 1:30am in an establishment in Triq it-Turisti, with the man being admitted to Mater Dei with grievous injuries while the police went to the scene.

The man was certified dead soon after, with the police investigating the case as a homicide.

The Malta Police Force is communicating with a third party individual for their investigation, with magistrate Dr Astrid May Grima leading the inquiry.

#MaltaDaily

TAGS: , , ,

Pregnant 17-year-old had cable wrapped around neck by boyfriend

 - Local - Jun 16 SHARE ON:
Pregnant 17-year-old had cable wrapped around neck by boyfriend

A man has been charged with attacking and injuring his 17-year-old pregnant girlfriend, MaltaToday reported. 

Inspector Eman Hayman arraigned a 22-year-old man from St Julians in court before Magistrate Astrid May Grima. The man was accused of attacking and causing bodily harm to his pregnant girlfriend, injuring her and threatening her. 

The incident is said to have taken place on the 14th of June following an argument over a t-shirt. He was subsequently arrested after police received reports that the accused put his hand around the victim’s neck.

Franco Debono, his lawyer, said the man was arrested after voluntarily going to the police station to check on unrelated matters. The man insisted upon arrest that the marks on the victim’s neck were self-inflicted. 

The victim however claimed that the man visited her in hospital to continue the argument. The accused explained that the woman made the marks found on her neck with a mobile phone charger cable. He instructed his sister to call the police. 

Debono told the court that there was strong contestation to the facts, arguing for the man to be released on bail. He pointed to the fact that he didn’t reside with the alleged victim and that he was ‘genuine.’ 

Inspector Hayman said there were conflicted versions of the events and that police carried out lengthy exercises of comparison of said versions. The police arrived at the conclusion that the victim’s version made more sense, partly because the argument had continued elsewhere. 

The court upheld the bail request, against a deposit of €1,000 and a personal guarantee of €10,000. He was ordered to observe a curfew, with a protection order in favour of the 17-year-old imposed. 

#MaltaDaily

TAGS:
Malta daily Facebook 970x90

Man arrested as police search for second attacker of Sliema jogger

 - Local - Jun 16 SHARE ON:
Man arrested as police search for second attacker of Sliema jogger

Times of Malta confirmed that police have arrested a man and are searching for another suspect after they reportedly assaulted a 62-year-old man who was enjoying his morning jog on Thursday morning in Sliema. 

A police spokesperson confirmed with the newspaper that officers to a distress call on the Sliema seafront, where they found a man who claimed to have been assaulted by two people. 

The police were able to apprehend one hand, finding a knife in the vicinity of the alleged aggressor. The suspect is currently under questioning as investigations continue to determine whether the knife belonged to him. 

The victim said he was enjoying his morning run when one of two men sitting on a bench stood up and punched him in the face. 

The attack came out of the blue, explained the man, with the punch sending him tumbling away on the grass. After he started shouting for help, the men ran away. Two other men walking close by saw the altercation and gave chase, managing to apprehend the man. 

The victim, Louis Spiteri, took to Facebook to explain the attack, asking ‘Is Sliema promenade safe anymore?’ 

‘I am a 62 yrs old, and every morning I enjoy going out for a walk or a jog. Can I still do this? Is Sliema Promenade safe anymore??? All this happened at 7.15 am, when the Promenade is busy with joggers.’ He went on to thank the two men who helped him, saying that he might have been lucky today as it could have been much worse. 

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: Google Maps, Louis Spiteri FB

TAGS: , , ,
See All