fbpx

Public backlash as Azzopardi and Aquilina set to contest casual elections

Public backlash as Azzopardi and Aquilina set to contest casual elections
Mar 29 2022 Share

Former Nationalist MPs Jason Azzopari and Karol Aquilina announced they will be contesting elections on the ninth and tenth districts respectively. 

Despite their bid to regain their seat in the House, public response came with a massive backlash as they highlighted that the politicians should respect public choice. 

Comments flooded in. One asked why the politicians would be forced back in if they were voted out. Another said ‘these people are either deaf or they don’t want to listen. It is clear as crystal people don’t want [them] in parliament so p*ss off and make room for new blood. 

Another expressed that ‘this is why PN will never be elected again. Message was sent by the people. We voted you out for a reason. You are not wanted. Move on.’ 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Malta Daily (@maltadaily.mt)

‘If these people were not reelected, it’s because the people don’t want them in parliament! Same applies to the Labour Party. To give them ministerial positions would be an act against the voters’ said another commenter. 

Aquilina garnered 931 and 403 first count votes in the 10th and 9th district, with Azzopardi getting 546 first count votes in the 9th district. Both are usually seen as ‘old PN guard’.

Meanwhile, the former PN leader they fought to replace – Adrian Delia – in a backbench rebellion managed to get elected on two districts. 

The two will be able to contest the 9th district for two seats vacated by Arrigo and Giglio, with Aquilina contesting the 10th district seat vacated by Mark Anthony Sammut. 

#MaltaDaily

Sales for Chris Rock show sky-rocket following Will Smith smack

Sales for Chris Rock show sky-rocket following Will Smith smack
Mar 29 2022 Share

The sales of tickets for Chris Rock’s stand-up tour have skyrocketed ever since the comedian was slapped by Will Smith at the Oscars on Sunday. 

The incident on the stage happened when Rock made a joke about the hair-loss of Will Smith’s wife Jada Pinkett Smith. Will walked up to Chris and smacked him across the face, going on to say ‘keep my wife’s name out your f**king mouth’. 

The unexpected moment caused both a great debate online as well as countless memes. Despite all the drama and an apology by Smith, tickets for Rock’s live show shot up. 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Chris Rock (@chrisrock)

Rock’s tour was announced last month, with a promise of very funny new material as it kicks off in Atlantic City, New Jersey in April. 

‘Ego Death World Tour 2022’ has allegedly been blowing up, with ticket-selling site TickPick saying that ‘we sold more tickets to see Chris Rock overnight than we did in the past month combined.’

The story has since developed, with sources revealing that the two made up after the incident. It went on to spark conspiracy theories of the slap being faked as well as Jake Paul offering both of them $30 million to fight in a boxing match. 

#MaltaDaily

€4,000 fine for man who assaulted three Gozo police officers

€4,000 fine for man who assaulted three Gozo police officers
Mar 29 2022 Share

A 28-year-old man was handed a €4,000 fine after he slightly injured three officers and found in possession of drugs in Gozo. The Zebbug resident was arraigned on Monday.

The police were called on the site to stop the argument in Indipendenza Square, Victoria on Sunday at around 9:45pm. After being ordered to stop, the man threatened and insulted the police, going on to assault them and injuring a sergeant and two constables. 

The man was charged with being in possession of cocaine as well as disturbing the peace. According to Newsboy, the argument took place during celebrations due to the Labour Party election. 

The accused pleaded guilty to the charges and was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment suspend for one year apart from the fine. 

#MaltaDaily

‘The pandemic is still with us’ warns former PM Alfred Sant

'The pandemic is still with us' warns former PM Alfred Sant
Mar 29 2022 Share

Former Prime Minister Alfred Sant took to Facebook to warn about rising COVID-19 infections following the ‘mingling’ which happened during the election campaign. 

He pointed to China, saying that, despite taking drastic measures to mitigate the spread, the infections are once again spreading after the country seemed as though it had finally contained the virus there. 

Malta daily Facebook 970x90

China had to once again close off entire localities to ensure the pandemic does not spread anymore, said Sant. ‘In Malta, with all the mingling which happened during the electoral campaign, infection numbers are sure to increase. 

‘In the mean time, people have had enough of the restrictions which had to be put in place’ said Sant. He went on to say that when in Brussels, he was confronted by a woman who, upon seeing him donning a mask, asked him if he knew that he had no reason to wear it anymore. 

‘Everyone is ready to forget the days spent in pandemic’ said Sant. ‘However, it continued to remind us that it’s still there. It’s sad to realise this.’

‘But it’s even sadder to assume that everything can be forgotten today only to find the pandemic has entered your home tomorrow’. 

#MaltaDaily