A prosecutor from the Attorney General’s office, 43-year-old Karl Muscat, was found dead in his Swieqi home in Triq is Sirk at around 1.30PM on Wednesday.
Police investigations are currently under way, together with a magisterial inquiry and foul play is not being excluded.
Sources told MaltaToday that Muscat’s house was “turned upside down.”
Muscat was leading the case against former More Supermarkets owner Ryan Schembri and was involved in proceedings against Yorgen Fenech, the former Progress Press and Allied Group director Vince Buhagiar and other cases.
Police spokesperson Brandon Pisani stated that it is early to establish the cause of death and more details will be revealed as the investigation unfold. Pisani described that insofar, while nothing is being excluded, there doesn’t seem to be third party persons involved.
President George Vella took to Facebook to announce the launch of the 13th edition of one of Malta’s most popular events; Rockestra. Unlike last year’s event, which was a sit-down concert due to the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year it will feel like more of a festival as it will be an open-air standing event.
Paul Borg Bonaci did admit that there were talks to keep the event as a sit-down concert due to its success last year, however those talks didn’t lead to anything as he said “Rockestra’s audience likes to sing and dance, and that is indeed when Rockestra is at its best,”
The event will be held on the 10th of September at the MFCC’s outdoor area in Ta’ Qali. As per usual, all proceedings will go to the Malta Community Chest Fund Foundation.
“I don’t think I need to justify why this is a good cause. And we want to keep it going because there is a great need,” President George Vella said.
He also went on to say that the concert is specially designed for all generations and thanked all those involved in organising it.
Transport minister Aaron Farrugia has attributed Malta’s current traffic situation due to the ongoing summer feasts instead of the number of road projects. Farrugia told Times of Malta that “the traffic jams are not just due to infrastructure work, but also because of closed roads for feasts during the summer months,”
The constant traffic jams have been a massive talking point in Maltese news lately as drivers have found it harder lately to commute around the country.
The problem was also raised by current Labour MEP and former Prime Minister Alfred Sant who took to Facebook to vent his frustration over the amount of traffic jams stating “there are too many public roadworks going on in our streets.” and “This is causing a great sense of frustration, as people get stuck in traffic jams,”
In accordance to Farrugia’s statements, last week the Santa Venera tunnels were supposed to be closed because of the display for the village feast however Transport Malta had to involve themselves and postpone the fire displays so they remain open for traffic.
Minister for National Heritage, Arts and Local Government Owen Bonnici announced the opening of applications for the festival Mużika Mużika’s third edition and launched the music video of Mużika Mużika 2022’s winning song.
Mużika Mużika 2023 is set to take place between the 23rd and the 25th of March 2023.
Dr Bonnici congratulated the organising team for the remarkable work in the last two editions. “We want to continue investing in this festival which also serves as a platform for artists to express themselves in our native language,” he said.
Dr Bonnici said: “This Festival celebrates the beauty of Maltese songs; it is nice to show appreciation for the Maltese language and music in such a beautiful way.”
“This festival,” Dr Bonnici said, “celebrates the beauty of Maltese music. We shall continue working so that this festival gains more popularity and keeps the annual appointment. We must ensure that more Maltese artists have opportunities to build professional musical careers”.
The Mużika Mużika Chairman, Mr Raymond Bugeja, praised the Festivals Malta team, which has managed to produce a high-quality product once again. He emphasised his desire for Mużika Mużika to reach even more diverse musical genres. “I am proud of the work Festivals Malta is producing. Mużika Mużika is constantly exceeding expectations in terms of production and creativity. I encourage singers, composers and authors to take the opportunity and be part of this prestigious festival.”
Festivals Malta Chairman, Mr Aaron Zahra, commented on the importance of Mużika Mużika both for Festivals Malta and for the Maltese language. Mr Zahra said, “We will once again commit ourselves to produce a festival of the highest level, for the singers, composers and authors who will take part, as well as for our audiences. I am sure the 2023 edition will be as successful as the previous ones.”
Festivals Malta CEO, Ms Annabelle Stivala, praised the quality of the production of the music video and thanked all those involved for their hard work and dedication. “An emotional music video required several hours of work by the dedicated team of Festivals Malta and many professionals in the sector. We started planning this music video just a few weeks after the festival; we involved various industry professionals to ensure the final product’s quality and safety on set.”
The prizes for Muzika Muzika 2023 will be €20,000 for first place, €10,000 for second place and €5,000 for third place.
Bla Tarf, performed by Kurt Calleja, written by Kurt Calleja and composed by Kurt Calleja, Aleandro Spiteri Monsigneur and Peter Borg, tells the story of a couple that manages to overcome every obstacle. The music video interpreted this story in an impressionistic style. It was shot by a team of professionals with the assistance of several members of the Civil Protection Department.
Applications for Mużika Mużika 2023 can be submitted online at www.muzikamuzika.mt or in person at Festivals Malta offices in Floriana. Applications close on the 15th of October 2022 at noon. More information on how to apply, deadlines, regulations, and guidelines can be found on www.muzikamuzika.mt.