fbpx

Minister and Police Commissioner must resign, say Repubblika

 - Local - Nov 23 SHARE ON:
Minister and Police Commissioner must resign, say Repubblika

NGO Repubblika issued a statement saying that the inefficient justice administration is aggravating the suffering of victims and propping up criminals. 

The NGO expressed its communitarian sadness with the rest of Malta at the murder of Bernice Cassar, saying that women in this country are victims of abuse, violence, discrimination and sometimes even killings committed by men. 

Expressing solidarity with activists fighting for women’s rights, the NGO went on to point out three observations which highlight the suffering of women in Malta. 

Firstly, they said, the decision by Minister Byron Camilleri and Police Commissioner Angelo Gaga to announce to announce the centralisation of domestic violence reports process made it more difficult for victims to access authorities who could protect them. 

This was announced on November 30th, 2020, and means that victims who wished to file a report were planned to go back home and back to the place where the violence may have occurred. 

The situation was made worse by the fact that domestic violence cases are heard by just one magistrate, delaying the time for justice to be served. At present, people reporting domestic abuse would only have their case heard in 18 months’ time. 

Despite Bernice Cassar having a protection order issued in her favour, nothing was done to ensure that this order was adhered to. These are all political and administrative failures, the NGO said. 

An independent inquiry would establish the facts so that mistakes would not be repeated, Repubblika said. However, the inquiry cannot work serenely given that the decisions made by the minister and the commissioner resulted in the brutal death of Bernice. 

#MaltaDaily

TAGS: , , , ,

Germany send powerful message to FIFA after denying OneLove armbands

 - International - Nov 23 SHARE ON:
Germany send powerful message to FIFA after denying OneLove armbands

Germany’s World Cup players covered their mouths for a pre-match team photo ahead of their opener against Japan to suggest that FIFA have tried to silence them. 

Germany had been among the seven nations who were planning to wear the ‘OneLove’ rainbow armband to express solidarity with the LGBTIQ+ community. 

The Hansi Flick side also warmed up in training shirts with rainbow coloured sleeves following FIFA threats of sanctions should they make any political statement during the Qatar tournament. 

A report in German media outlet Bild made headlines on Tuesday, claiming that the German FA are deciding whether to take legal action against FIFA. It is outlined that such a decision could be taken to the International Court of Arbitration for Sport. 

“FIFA has banned us from showing a symbol of diversity and human rights. They combined this ban with massive threats of sporting sanctions without specifying them. The DFB is checking whether this action by FIFA was legal” DFB spokesperson Steffen Simon said. 

“We didn’t want this conflict being fought on the backs of the players and expose players to this risk. They can take our arm band but we will continue to express the values we stand for” said German FA president Bernd Neuendorf.  

#MaltaDaily

TAGS: , , , , ,
Malta daily Facebook 970x90

Man arrested after knife attack outside Naxxar building

 - Local - Nov 23 SHARE ON:
Man arrested after knife attack outside Naxxar building

A 42-year-old man was assailed today by another man with a knife on Wednesday afternoon in an apartment building in Naxxar. 

Police informed newsrooms that the argument occurred at around noon in Triq Toni Bajada, wherein a man armed with a knife attacked the 42-year-old Dutch man in front of the door of one of the buildings. 

Police officers from the Rapid Intervention Unit immediately initiated their search for the aggressor, arresting him within two hours in St Paul’s Bay. 

A medical team gave assistance to the victim, whose condition is currently unknown. Investigations by police are still ongoing. 

#MaltaDaily

TAGS: ,

First month without COVID deaths since pandemic started

 - COVID-19 - Nov 23 SHARE ON:
First month without COVID deaths since pandemic started

Malta has gone a whole month without one COVID-19 death between October 22nd and November 22nd. This marks the longest stretch of time without deaths since the pandemic hit. 

A patient died on the morning of Wednesday 23rd November, breaking the month long streak. The patient was the 809th person to die while infected with COVID-19 since the pandemic started. 

Health Minister Chris Fearne stated that the virus is being considered endemic by the health authorities, with the number of new virus cases amounting to around 20 daily. 

The vaccine rollout against COVID-19 continues, with health authorities providing the new Omicron variant jab and the flu vaccine together as a severe influenza season is being forecasted. 

With no measures in place, this will be the first winter where people are not forced to wear masks or social distance. This is the main worry behind a severe flu season, with Mater Dei confirming an increase in non-COVID respiratory infections in kids. 

#MaltaDaily

TAGS: , , , , ,
See All