Nationalist MP Mario Galea has just rejected claims made by the Nationalist Party heads, notably leader Bernard Grech, that there was a ‘consensus’ to withdraw his election candidature.
Galea told MaltaToday that it was not true he told them to resign. ‘I had already prepared my campaign. I took photos at my district and had already begun home visits’ said the now withdrawn candidate.
This follows the announcement that four PN candidates would not be contesting the general election. Galea’s withdrawal was announced in the morning alongside Kristy Debono and Clyde Puli, with Claudio Grech announcing his own later in the evening during a PN event in St George’s Square Valletta.
Party leader Bernard Grech said Claudio’s decision was made out of persuasion that the Nationalist party needed a regeneration. Grech said that the three first withdrawals understood the need for regeneration, but Galea rejected the claims.
‘It’s completely not true. On Sunday evening, I received calls from the party headquarters to attend the press conference on Monday.’ He unveiled how people close to the party leadership made his life hell and that he was made a disposable commodity.
He even stated that his mental health was called out. ‘I was actively campaigning, but now it’s too much and I felt I needed to get out.’ Galea, who is 59, was elected for the first time to parliament in 1992 on the 3rd district. He was elected again in 1998 and every election following that.