fbpx
Malta daily Facebook 970x90
Malta daily Facebook 300x250

Malta ignores distress call as rescue boat reaches Sicily with 800 migrants

Malta ignores distress call as rescue boat reaches Sicily with 800 migrants
Nov 8 2021 Share

A German humanitarian ship with well over 800 rescued migrants arrived in a Sicilian port on Sunday after being given permission by Italian authorities following days out at sea. 

Sea-Eye, the charity group, said the vessel was assigned to the port of Trapani on Saturday evening. With most of the adults transferred to other ships for preventive quarantine against COVID-19, around 160 minors, including babies and kids younger than 4. Most were from countries in West Africa, Egypt or Morocco, an official from Save the Children in Italy said. 

Malta daily Facebook 970x90

About half of the migrants rescued from a sinking wooden boat on the 4th of November, other passengers had been taken to safety from the sea in separate operations. Sea-Eye officials however lamented that Malta did not respond to the wooden boat’s distress signal in its own search area. 

‘The EU states must urgently urge Malta to finally respond to emergency calls in Valletta and coordinate sea emergencies, regardless of skin colour or origin of the people who are involved’ it said in a post. 

Another charity ship, Ocean Viking, with 306 migrants aboard, awaited assignment of a port near Lampedusa. Earlier Sunday, an Italian Coast Guard boat pulled up alongside the Ocean Viking to evacuate minors suffering health conditions. 

#MaltaDaily

Malta daily Facebook 970x90
Malta daily Facebook 300x250

Over €75,000 spent on conference launching Metro system

Over €75,000 spent on conference launching Metro system
Nov 8 2021 Share

Information tabled in Parliament by Transport Minister Ian Borg revealed that just over €75,000 was spent on the launch event unveiling governmental plans for the proposed metro project. Borg showed that over €76,981.76 was spent on the event held on the 2nd of October 2021. The parliamentary question was asked by PN MP Toni Bezzina. 

The metro is estimated to cost around €6.2 billion to be built in a time span of 15 and 20 years. €3.9 billion for a first phase will be delivered after between five to eight years. 

Malta daily Facebook 970x90

The metro system will include three metro lines with a total of 35km of tracks and 25 stations across Malta’s urban areas. Mostly underground, a small part of the metro will be above ground between Naxxar and Bugibba. 

The proposal sparked much debate, with various members of government stating that it was not set in stone and it could change. Previous spendings for projects also rocketed up similar amounts, with two separate inaugurations for part of the Marsa junction resulting in an €85,000 expenditure. 

#MaltaDaily

Malta daily Facebook 970x90
Malta daily Facebook 300x250

Hugo Chetcuti’s son lashes at Peppi Azzopardi for ‘protecting murderers’

Hugo Chetcuti’s son lashes at Peppi Azzopardi for ‘protecting murderers’
Nov 8 2021 Share

The son of the late Maltese entrepreneur Hugo Chetcuti, Luke, lashed out at Xarabank host Peppi Azzopardi’s post about abolishing solitary confinement. 

Uploading a lengthy story onto Instagram, Luke Chetcuti rhetorically asked the presenter and campaigners ‘Maybe if it was your dad laying cold in his grave you would think differently?’ 

Malta daily Facebook 970x90

Azzopardi has been calling for the end of the practice of solitary confinement. This can only mandated by court order under Maltese law. It can last a maximum of 10 days with an interval of two months between each period. 

This follows a post by Peppi Azzopardi claiming that four men with experience of solitary confinement were being silenced. One of the four men facing confinement is Bojan Cmelik, the man who murdered Chetcuti. 

‘When I visit my dad at his grave he can’t speak to me, or anybody else, because he is in an indefinite solitary confinement state due to death through murder at the hands of one of the prisoners you so nobly defend’ said Luke. 

He expressed his sadness at telling his kids that their grandfather is dead and that his last memory of him was that of a medic jumping on his chest attempting to save his life. 

#MaltaDaily

Malta daily Facebook 970x90
Malta daily Facebook 300x250

Rosianne Cutajar calls out insult directed at Michelle Muscat

Rosianne Cutajar calls out insult directed at Michelle Muscat
Nov 8 2021 Share

Following a post uploaded by Alessandra Dee Crespo insulting Michelle Muscat, PL MP Rosianne Cutajar condemned the the double-standard. 

This follows Dee Crespo’s recounting of receiving insults as she camped outside the Floriana police head quarters. Cutajar stated that if these insults were actually true, they are to be condemned. 

Malta daily Facebook 970x90

However, she highlighted a post made by Dee Crespo herself insulting Michelle Muscat’s new look. ‘Now this beats having your curtains sewn for free, doesn’t it, my deer?’ posted Dee Crespo. 

Cutajar reshared this, highlighting how this was not the first time Dee Crespo directed such insults at other individuals. ‘What will the Curia do this time as it faces a chancellor of the second instance in the Archbishop’s tribunal?’ 

‘Will it condemn Alessandra in the same justified manner that it condemned insults directed at a Nationalist MP’ she asked, referring to the insults faced by Emma Portelli Bonnici. 

‘Will Repubblika disassociate itself as well?’ asked Cutajar. ‘Or does their winning a press freedom award give them license to foster hate and insult others?’ She concluded saying that attacking a woman for the way she looks in 2021 is pathetic. 

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: Rosianne Cutajar FB

Malta daily Facebook 970x90
Malta daily Facebook 300x250