An inquiry tasked with establishing whether the state failed Bernice Cassar, a mother of two and femicide victim, has found that she was indeed failed by said system.
The two main reasons touted were a lack of resources as well as a heavy caseload. The inquiry was compiled by retired judge Geoffrey Valenzia and presented to the government last month.
However, the recommendations and conclusions were announced by Home Affairs Minister Byron Camilleri and Justice Minister Jonathan Attard on Thursday.
The recommendations and conclusions are set to be published but were not provided as of yet. The ministers did not confirm that the inquiry had concluded that there was no responsibility to be shouldered by any single person.
This comes after Cassar had filed multiple police repots against ex-estranged husband Roderick before she was killed on November 22nd in Corradino.
The inquiry was to research whether authorities were or should have been aware that Cassar’s life was in danger and if there were any domestic violence law failings.
Justice Minister Jonathan Attard said that the caseload made it impossible for the court to hear cases earlier but that the recent appointment of new magistrates would make it possible to allocate one more magistrate to focus on domestic violence.
Apart from this, the need for more training for the judiciary and other court staff was mentioned by the inquiry. Another family court was also in discussion by authorities.
Home Affairs Minister Byron Camilleri also pointed to various other changes to how risk faced by potential victims would be assessed. A multidisciplinary approach will be taken up by DASH, the system which found Bernice Cassar in ‘medium risk, as well as changes to electronic tagging which were tasked to university professor Joe Cannataci to draw up.