fbpx

Economy Minister looks forward to removing COVID from dictionary

Economy Minister looks forward to removing COVID from dictionary
Apr 5 2022 Share

Speaking on Pjazza last night, Economy Minister Silvio Schembri stated that he looks forward to the day when the word COVID-19 will be removed from the dictionary.

Schembri highlighted how Malta has a strong economy which coped with the ramifications of COVID-19. ‘I look forward to the word ‘COVID’ not even being spoken about anymore’ he said. 

He spoke about how the pandemic took so much away from us, and how much the people sacrificed. He said that the government want the people to be happy and to live normal lives.

‘Everything indicates that we’re heading in this direction but now let’s make sure that this electoral program that the people voted for is implemented’ he said.

This comes just as Deputy Prime Minister announces more health measure relaxations, introducing self-testing, the removal of masks in schools and even easing travel restrictions. 

#MaltaDaily

UPDATED: Corpse found in car in Hal Qormi

UPDATED: Corpse found in car in Hal Qormi
Apr 5 2022 Share

A corpse has been found in a car in a Ħal Qormi valley as several police officers from different units assess the situation. 

Not much information has as of yet been released, but NET News reported that the body was that of a man. 

Officers were reported to investigate after a very unpleasant stench emerged from the vehicle. It is unclear for how long the corpse was in the car.

This is a developing story and further investigations are currently ongoing. 

Police have confirmed that the car, a grey Peugeot 407, is the same one flagged in a police statement last Saturday in a missing person’s report. The missing man was 62-year-old Mario Farrugia from Pembroke, who was last seen on 28th of March close to his home. 

Despite police not yet confirming the body, a photo of the back side of the car shows what appears to be blood stains from he trunk trickling down to the bumper. 

#MaltaDaily

Zelenskyy in tears as he visits sites of Russian war atrocities

Zelenskyy in tears as he visits sites of Russian war atrocities
Apr 5 2022 Share

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy had to hold back tears as he visited the site of alleged atrocities in Ukraine. The leader was visibly haunted by what he witnessed in Bucha, which is northwest of Kyiv, following the withdrawal of Russian troops. 

Associated Press (AP) journalists spotted 21 bodies in Bucha, with a group of nine civilians who appeared to have been shot at close range. Two of them had their hands tied behind their backs. Ukrainian officials said that the bodies of 410 civilians were found in towns around the capital which were recaptured from Russian forces. Zelenskyy told reporters that thousands of civilians had been raped, tortured and murdered. 

‘Every day we find people in barrels, cellars, and everywhere else, some strangled, some clearly tortured. These are war crimes and will be recognised by the world as genocide’ said Zelenskyy. Satellite images taken in Ukraine indicated that civilian killings took place before Russian soldiers left the town, which is contrary to what the invading force claimed. 

Russia’s ministry of defence had denied responsibility for the crimes, suggesting that Russian troops withdrew from Bucha around 30th March. World leaders are unanimously condemning the act. US President Joe Biden accused Putin of being a war criminal after the images emerged. EU President Roberta Metsola also issued a strengthening of sanctions on Moscow. 

#MaltaDaily

COVID measure easing welcomed by hotel owners and airport

COVID measure easing welcomed by hotel owners and airport
Apr 5 2022 Share

The government’s announcement that more COVID-19 restrictions will be eased was welcomed by the Malta International Airport and the Malta Hotels and Restaurants Association.

The MIA welcomed the announcement that persons travelling from a red zoned country will bee allowed entry with a negative PCR test or a recovery certificate as of next week. 

Malta daily Facebook 970x90

The MIA said that PCR tests are an inconvenience and an added cost which can prompt potential visitors to choose other destinations for their summer holiday. With the peak holiday season only months away, the MIA called on government to give visibility to the industry and potential visitors of when the remaining COVID-19 travel restrictions would be completely removed. 

A separate statement was released by the MHRA, also welcoming the restriction removal. It stated however that not enough and clear information as presented to better understand how the tourism stakeholders need to react in relation to this policy statement. 

The MHRA is thus calling for the removal of all remaining restrictions, such as completing a Passenger Locator Form and vaccination proof. The MHRA is calling on an emphasis of slo-responsibility to ‘keep our society healthy.’ 

#MaltaDaily