fbpx

Construction site deaths triple between 2019 and 2021, NSO reveals

Construction site deaths triple between 2019 and 2021, NSO reveals
Oct 13 2022 Share

The amount of workplace fatalities within the construction industry have tripled between 2019 and 2021. This was revealed in the National Statistics Office’s ‘Fatalities at Work’ news release, which revealed that The Occupational Health and Safety Authority (OHSA) reported 19 fatalities at work between 2019 and 2021.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Malta Daily (@maltadaily.mt)

Of the 19 workplace fatalities in the past three years, almost all cases were males with the exception of one fatal accident involving a female in 2020. The majority of cases were between the ages of 35 and 44 or aged 55 and over.

42.1 per cent of all fatalities between 2019 and 2021 involved Maltese nationals while the remaining 57.9 per cent involved EU or non-EU nationals. Almost 75% of deaths were caused by head injuries while others involved extremities of the body and injury to the torso and/or organs. In total, 18 fatalities involved concussions and internal injuries while the remaining case involved drowning and asphyxiation.

Almost 90% of cases occurred within the construction sector, with 73.7% of involved victims being engaged in elementary occupations.

#MaltaDaily

Malta’s fattest hedgehog Garfield sadly dies, Wildlife Rescue Team announces

Malta's fattest hedgehog Garfield sadly dies, Wildlife Rescue Team announces
Oct 13 2022 Share

The Wildlife Rescue Team Malta has announced that the country’s fattest hedgehog Garfield sadly died during the night.

A necropsy performed on Garfield in the morning determined that the hedgehog died due to liver failure as a result of ‘extreme fat deposits in the liver’, causing his liver to stop working.

The condition is due to Garfield’s obesity, caused by months of being kept as a pet, being overfed and not allowed to exercise and run around. “THIS is why animals should never be kept as pets”, Wildlife Rescue Team wrote in a lengthy Facebook post.

“All our volunteers are deeply saddened by Garfield’s passing, our only consolation being that for the last few weeks Garfield was able to walk around, interact with other hedgehogs, and be a proper hedgehog herself.”
The rescue team thanked the dedicated vets and volunteers for their service, who offer the best possible care to animals in rehab on a daily basis. They also went on to thank anyone who followed Garfield’s journey and for offering their support in tough times.
#MaltaDaily

New public water dispensers to spare 2 million kilograms of plastic per year

New public water dispensers to spare 2 million kilograms of plastic per year
Oct 13 2022 Share

A number of brand new water dispensers across Malta and Gozo will be saving 2 million kilograms of plastic every single year.

The water dispensers were installed by the Water Services Corporation in a number of public places such as public schools and Mater Dei hospital, with Minister for Education. Sport, Youth, Research and Innovation‚Äč Clifton Grima highlighting that such an initiative shows how education, health and environmental awareness are at the centre of the government’s agenda.

Meanwhile, Minister for for the Environment, Energy and Enterprise Miriam Dalli highlighted how the water dispensers will be offering quality water whilst encouraging the use of reusable water bottles.

Do you have a reusable bottle?

#MaltaDaiily

Charles & Ron showcase Lydia Abela-worn dresses at Washington D.C. fashion gala

Oct 13 2022 Share

Iconic Maltese fashion designers Charles & Ron have taken a touch of Maltese flavour to Washington D.C. in the United States, showcasing not one but two dresses worn by Lydia Abela.

Hosted by Diplomacy and Fashion the black-tie event is the first of its kind, celebrating the designers of First Ladies and Gentlemen of the World whilst advocating for sustainable fashion and the role of fashion in diplomacy.

During the show, models rocked two Charles & Ron-designed dresses previously worn by Lydia Abela, who is the wife of Maltese Prime Minister Robert Abela. One was a replica of Abela’s Independence Day 2021 celebration dress while the other is an evening dress worn in New York for a Fashion 4 Development banquet held in honour of the United Nations General Assembly.

The iconic duo were also recently in New York for the New York Fashion Week, taking Maltese & Mediterranean design to a whole new level whilst unveiling their Spring/Summer 2023 collection.

What do you think of the dresses?

#MaltaDaily