Celebrity Obsessed Fans Exhibit ‘Lower Intelligence’, Study

Celebrity Obsessed Fans Exhibit ‘Lower Intelligence’, Study
Nov 5 2023 Share

According to a Hungarian study published last year in 2022 in BMC Psychology, individuals fixated on Hollywood gossip and celebrity culture may exhibit lower intelligence levels. 

The research involved 1,763 adults who underwent various tasks, including a 30-word vocabulary test and a digit symbol substitution test. 

Additionally, participants completed a “celebrity attitude scale” questionnaire to gauge their interest in famous figures. Statements such as, “I often feel compelled to learn the personal habits of my favorite celebrity” were answered with “yes” or “no”. The study found a direct link between intense celebrity worship and reduced performance on cognitive tests.

The researchers noted that those with the highest scores on the celebrity attitude scale also demonstrated poorer performance on the cognitive ability assessments. 

However, they couldn’t determine whether the obsession with celebrity culture caused lower cognitive abilities or if it was a consequence of them. 

They recommended further studies to explore how fixations on celebrities might impact cognitive skills and attention in tasks. The researchers advised being mindful of strong celebrity obsessions and their potential effects on cognitive performance.


Demonstration In Valletta In Solidarity With Palestine

Demonstration In Valletta In Solidarity With Palestine
Nov 5 2023 Share

Hundreds gathered in Valletta for a demonstration in solidarity with the Palestinian people, organised by local youths, members of the Arab community, and endorsed by activists from Moviment Graffitti and the Palestinian ambassador. 

Graffitti activist Andre Callus strongly criticised European Parliament President Roberta Metsola for her actions regarding the ongoing conflict in Gaza. 

Callus accused European leaders of supporting Israel and having “blood on their hands” due to the ongoing conflict. He also highlighted the long-standing occupation and violence in the region.

The protest aimed to demand a ceasefire and show support for those affected by the conflict. Attendees held banners advocating for an end to genocide and expressing solidarity with Palestine. 


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Malta Daily (@maltadaily.mt)

The Palestinian ambassador commended students for protesting against Metsola’s actions. According to the Palestinian Health Ministry in Gaza, over 9,200 people have been killed in the conflict. The demonstration sought to raise awareness about the situation and call for a peaceful resolution.


‘Mixja mal-President’ A National Unity Event for a Noble Cause

Nov 4 2023 Share

In an uplifting and inspiring initiative, the Office of the President, led by H.E. George Vella, has reminded the public that the upcoming ‘Mixja mal-President’ in support of The Malta Community Chest Fund (MCCF) is less than a week away!

This family-oriented event is set to take place on Saturday, November 11th, starting at 3 pm from Verdala Palace and making its way through Sant’Anton Palace before concluding in front of the Presidential Palace in Valletta.

The event, aimed at promoting physical exercise, national unity, and solidarity with those in need, has already garnered tremendous support and enthusiasm.

Registration for the ‘Mixja mal-President’ is open, and interested participants can sign up online at mccf.store or at various locations, including the Kitchen Garden, Sant’Anton Palace, the MCCF offices in Valletta and Victoria, Maypole stores, and SportMalta complexes in Kirkop, Cottonera, and the National Pool Complex in Tal-Qroqq.

The registration fee is €10, and all participants will receive a commemorative T-shirt.

The Malta Public Transport will be offering dedicated bus services for participants. Special bus trips from Valletta to Sant’Anton Palace and Verdala Palace will be available between 12 pm and 2 pm, ensuring convenient transportation to the starting points. After the walk, route number 56 will be extended from Valletta to Dingli and Rabat between 6.30 pm and 8 pm, with stops in front of Sant’Anton Palace and Verdala Palace.


Revealing Insights: The Profile of First-Time Buyers in Malta

Nov 4 2023 Share

In 2023, the Maltese Government introduced an initiative aimed at providing a financial boost to first-time buyers (FTBs) in Malta. This scheme offered FTBs a one-time grant of €10,000, distributed over ten years, effectively equating to €1,000 annually. The primary objective of this scheme was to alleviate the financial burden on FTBs, thus empowering them to realize their dream of homeownership. Furthermore, this initiative has enabled the Housing Authority to glean invaluable insights into the demographic profile and preferences of FTBs in Malta.

Based on an extensive analysis of 3,103 applications, representing 4,590 individuals, successfully processed by the Housing Authority since the scheme’s inception, certain patterns and characteristics of FTBs have emerged. The majority of these applications, around 2,741, were submitted by FTBs who acquired their properties in 2022, while an additional 361 applicants completed their property purchases in 2023.

A noteworthy finding of the analysis is that approximately 92% of the applications qualified for the full grant amount of €1,000, while the remaining 8% received a reduced grant of €500, often when only one person in a couple met the FTB criteria. The median age of FTBs in Malta hovers around 30 years, aligning with Eurostat figures indicating the average age at which young people in the country typically leave their parental homes.

The report also revealed that slightly more than half of FTBs purchased their properties individually (single beneficiaries), accounting for 52% of all applications. In contrast, joint beneficiaries made up the remaining 48%. When breaking down the gender composition, males comprised 55% of single beneficiaries, with females constituting the remaining 45%.

FTBs demonstrated a diverse range of property preferences, with purchases spanning 66 different localities across Malta and Gozo. The top five preferred localities for FTBs in Malta were St. Paul’s Bay, Zurrieq, Birkirkara, Mosta, and Zabbar. While St. Paul’s Bay continued to be a hotspot for FTBs, it’s interesting to note that FTBs often gravitated toward slightly different localities than those commonly sought for rental purposes.

Approximately 7% of FTB property acquisitions were in Gozo, with Xaghra, Nadur, and Sannat emerging as the most sought-after localities on the island.

The data also revealed that FTBs often favored properties close to their current addresses, with 48% choosing to buy in the same locality as their previous residence. This preference was less pronounced among single beneficiaries, with 43% purchasing in their hometown, often their parents’ residence. Gozitan FTBs exhibited a particularly strong preference for staying on the island, with 72% choosing to purchase within Gozo.

Apartments were the most popular property type among FTBs, with 79% of single beneficiaries and 65% of joint beneficiaries opting for this style of residence. Notably, property finishes remained consistent, with roughly 74% of FTBs purchasing finished properties.

The analysis also revealed that nearly half of FTBs acquired properties within the €150,000 to €250,000 price range. Single beneficiaries, in particular, were more likely to purchase within this price bracket, while joint beneficiaries often purchased more expensive properties.