fbpx

Cardi B stuns American Music Awards with gold mask

Cardi B stuns American Music Awards with gold mask
Nov 22 2021 Share

The American Music Awards Red Carpet was utterly shocked after Cardi B turned up wearing a solid gold mask at the event. 

The rapper, who also hosted the event, had previously informed fans and viewers to expect some costume changes. But who would have thought that the ‘Up’ singer would don such a bizarre mask? 

She first turned up with a long black dress with a sequinned leopard print pattern. The 29-year-old however returned with a golden mask and a Schiaparelli dress off her shoulder. 

Reactions were mixed, some calling Cardi a fashion icon whilst others expressing that they were put off by the face covering. 

Despite wanting to bring her personality to the AMA’s stage, she told Variety that the night was ultimately in honour of the performers taking to the stage. 

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: The Mirror, The Independent

SUV drives into Wisconsin Christmas Parade, leaves five dead

SUV drives into Wisconsin Christmas Parade, leaves five dead
Nov 22 2021 Share

A Christmas Parade in Waukesha, Wisconsin was tragically cut short after a car drove straight into the crowd. Five people were killed and 40 reported injured. Disturbing footage posted online shows a red SUV driving through the parade at around 16:40 local time. 

A considerable amount of people were hit, but police authorities indicated that the incident does not yet appear as an act of terrorism. The driver appears to have been attempting escape from an unknown cause before driving into the parade. 

Police Chief Dan Thompson told reporters that a person of interest was in custody, but there were no further threats to people’s safety. Several notable figures, including POTUS Joe Biden, expressed their condolences.

#MaltaDaily

The 10th edition of the Valletta Baroque Festival promises a spectacular line up

The 10th edition of the Valletta Baroque Festival promises a spectacular line up
Nov 22 2021 Share

Festivals Malta has just launched the programme for the exciting 10th edition of the Valletta Baroque Festival in January of next year. The event is set to take place between the 14th and 29th of January 2022 and will feature 36 diverse concerts all celebrating music from the 17th and 18th century. 

It will be spread over 18 venues, all historical Maltese landmarks. These include the Manoel Theatre, Archaeology Museum, Verdala Palace, San Anton Palace and other churches and cathedrals around the island. 

Malta daily Facebook 970x90

Minister for Culture José Herrera spoke about the importance of such a festival within the cultural sector, especially following the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact. 

‘The Valletta Baroque Festival is truly unique because through its prestige, it attracts a specific form of tourism characterised by tourists who are mainly interested in the festival but end up falling in love with the majesty of the locations and venues where the concerts are held. 

I am sure that this edition, which follows months of disruption caused by the pandemic, will provide a truly unique experience, an experience which will continue to reinforce the festival’s position as one of the top 10 Baroque festival in Europe’. 

Kenneth Zammit Tabona, the festival Artistic Director, said that Baroque music is part of our DNA. He also highlighted some of the spectacular acts and ensembles participating in the event.

These feature Mahan Esfahani, Charlie Siem, Gabetta Consort with Franco Fagioli, Vasillis Varvaresos, Avi Avital, the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment and much more! Local artists will also have a chance to show their skill during the festival, with performances by The Rock Troupers, The Malta Philharmonic Orchestra and the Monteverdi Project directed by Marco Mencoboni, as well as the Valletta Baroque Ensemble and KorMalta in Handel’s iconic Messiah conducted by Christian Curnyn.

Annabelle Stivala, Festivals Malta CEO, emphasised what it means to the agency to be entrusted with such a festival. She expressed what an honour it truly is to be entrusted this project. They are also working on the ABOS Project and the Valletta Baroque Opera Festival happening in November 2022. The former aims to create awareness on Italo-Maltese composer Girolamo Abos’ music. The latter’s main feature will be a 1747 opera called Pelopida by Abos as well. 

For tickets and other information, those interested can follow this link. 

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: Darren Agius

David Casa to give up quaestor position to give Metsola better chance at president

David Casa to give up quaestor position to give Metsola better chance at president
Nov 22 2021 Share

Nationalist MEP David Casa will be stepping down from his position as quaestor at European Parliament to give Roberta Metsola a better chance at becoming the parliament president. 

This comes after Metsola announced her attempt at becoming the EPP’s candidate for European Parliament president last week. 

Posting to Facebook, Casa said that when he was informed by Metsola of her entering the race, he immediately gave her his full support. ‘Even if this meant giving up [his] role as quaestor.’ 

Casa said that for him, politics is not about the politicians. ‘It is a means of bringing positive change in the lives of the people we represent. And through this election, we will have the chance of having a Maltese woman in a leadership position in European politics.’ 

Casa was elected quaestor in July of 2019, becoming one of five MEPs elected for a two and a half year term. The deadline for candidates to submit their nomination is today November 22nd 2021, with Austrian MEP Othmar Karas having already entered the race. 

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: EPP Group in the European Parliament