fbpx

Anti-cocaine spray being used on toilets in pubs in UK

 - International - Oct 15 SHARE ON:
Anti-cocaine spray being used on toilets in pubs in UK

Pubs in the UK have resorted to spraying their toilets with anti-cocaine spray in a bid to stop people from sniffing the drug off seas or radiators in their bathrooms. Using a spray called Blokit, it is said to make a coating when it is sprayed over surfaces such as hand-driers, toilets or even baby changing tables, destroying cocaine power if it comes into contact with it. This move has however been criticised by drug safety experts, despite the bid being a police move in the UK. 

Being tried out in the northeast of England, in Darlington, 24 pubs have had the chemical sprayed on its surfaces by officers. The pubs were not chosen randomly, with drug sniffer dogs previously having found evidence of cocaine located there. It is also said that 600 licensed premises around the UK are set to begin its use. Colleges, cinemas and even libraries are being showered with Blokit, despite drug experts doubting whether it actually prevents the use of the drug. 

The mixture is apparently non-toxic and costs £650 for 60 bottles. Posters are being put in up in pubs to alert customers that the spray is in use, with Durham police reporting that there has been an 80% reduction in drug-ingestion in their premises since its introduction. Some customers had also completely stopped drinking in certain pubs since the spray was introduced. 

#MaltaDaily

 

TAGS: , , , ,

Queen Elizabeth uses cane in public for first time in 17 years

 - Local - Oct 15 SHARE ON:
Queen Elizabeth uses cane in public for first time in 17 years

Appearing at a service at Westminster Abbey with her daughter earlier this week, Queen Elizabeth brought out her cane after a 17 year absence. The monarch accompanied Princess Anne to commemorate the Centenary of the Royal British Legion last Tuesday, making an appearance at a Service of Thanksgiving. The Queen carried a simple cork-handled, black cane – the last time she used such support having been back in 2003 following a knee surgery. 

The Queen was walking stick-free outside Buckingham Palace last week, so this is a pretty recent development. The queen finished up the outfit with a deep blue coat with large gold buttons over a navy and ivory prints dress paired with a matching wide-brimmed hat. 

The monarch also wore Queen Mary’s Russian brooch which features a sugarloaf cabochon sapphire. This was a wedding gift from Empress Marie Feodorovna in 1893, with the Queen inheriting it from her grandmother in 1953. 

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: Vanity Fair, People

TAGS: , , ,

Customs has seized 39,578 bottles of wine in 2021

 - Local - Oct 15 SHARE ON:
Customs has seized 39,578 bottles of wine in 2021

Customs Malta have revealed that in 2021, they seized 39,578 bottles of wine and 584 bottles of spirits, amounting to a total market value of €456,364. 

The bottles were seized between January and September of this year, with €430,084 in value confiscated lots attributed to wine bottles and another €26,280 in bottles of spirits. 

The wine bottle’s endangered taxes amounted up to €6,146 in excise duty and €78,521 in VAT. As for the bottles of spirits, endangered taxes amount to €2,224 in excise duty and €5,131 in VAT. 

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: Customs Communications

TAGS: , , , ,

Maltese Neville Ciantar to compete in Off-Road King of Portugal

 - International - Oct 15 SHARE ON:
Maltese Neville Ciantar to compete in Off-Road King of Portugal

Maltese Neville Ciantar, Off-Road racer and All-Wheel Drive Club member, will be bringing his skill to Portugal to compete in this year’s edition of ‘Off-Road King of Portugal.’ The event takes place between today, Friday 15th October, and next Sunday, 17th. 

The event kicked off in 2013 and is one of the biggest, and dare we say one of the most difficult, off-road races around the globe. Each year sees the event grow and become more challenge as competitors continuously up their game. The participants are challenged through several daring circuits in their respective segment. 

Ciantar is no stranger to these types of challenges as he has already competed twice in the event. There would would have been a third try for Ciantar, but the event was cancelled due to devastating fires which ravaged the region in 2019. Ciantar placed fifth in 2017 and sixth in 2019. Neville’s own 20-year-old son Lee Ciantar, is also his co-driver, having already participated as co-driver in King of Hammers in the USA in 2019. 

Good luck to you both!

#MaltaDaily

Photo Source: Neville Ciantar FB

TAGS: , ,
See All